Thursday, December 16, 2010

Apple Pie Granola

At my house we really enjoy granola, but it can be really expensive. I've tried a few recipes to make my own, but I had a hard time buying all the ingredients I would use maybe once or twice a year (ex. wheat germ, flax seed meal, oat bran soy grits (are those even real?)). These recipe has ingredients that I always have on hand! It's so good! It really does taste like Apple pie, just with nuts and raisins.

Apple Pie Granola
- 5 c. rolled oats
- 1 c. chopped apples
- 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 c. raisins
- 3/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Toast oats in ungreased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 in. jelly roll pan in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Combine toasted oats and remaining ingredients except raisins and mix well. Placed back in ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally to brown evenly. After the first 15 minutes of baking time add the raisins in. Cool and stir until crumbly. Store in a tightly covered container in fridge. Makes about 9 cups.

I actually make this many times with the nuts. I even made it once without the apples and raisins, and it still tasted amazing!

(Source: Kathe M.)

No comments:

Post a Comment